Monday, August 22, 2005

i'm (finally) at site!!!

greetings from beautiful ruskulova!! i arrived here by train yesterday morning at the crack of 7 am! for the next six months, i will live with a host family consisting of a mother, a father and a host brother. they (so far) seem like very friendly people. i also have a very cuddly little kitten that likes to lick my nose when i'm trying to sleep.

so, now let's move on to logistics. the days of free and somewhat limitless internet connections are now behind me. i can now access the internet for 2.5 tenge per minute on a 56k (if that) modem. just to let you know how slow this thing is, it has taken me almost twenty minutes just to get the post page to load. therefore, my post and emails will become even more infrequent than they have been of late (sob!!). but i do have good news: i have for you two alternantive and free (for me) ways for us to keep in touch. that's right, faithfull blog reader. . . i am now, finally, going to give you all what you've been screaming for theses last few months. i know i said that i would send indivudual emails with my phone number and address, but the connection here is too slow and too costly for that. so, i'm going to give you this information on my blog.

ok, my counterpart is getting bored at watching me type, so i'm going to go, much love and i hope i gave you the right phone numbers (remember, kz i 10 hours ahead of est!)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It finally happened! You finally got posted! That sucks about the internet, it looks like this blog is more for the proverbial "us" to keep in contact about you, rather than with you. But I am very excited to be able to call you see you yoos drrin'. Hope all is well in the new hizzouse with the new host fazzamily. MISS YOU!!!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats and good luck with everything.

prepare yourself to receive care packages! it's a good thing you already have a kitten, because they don't ship well, even with air holes in the box and everything.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have for you two *

*(quote from you)

;-{{} and others make of fun at me.

[break]


Hey, how were the the comforts, on the train? Was there an aroma of like cigarette smoke?

Could you draw (pleaase) maybe a scene from your train journey?

Later, I'm off to purchase US stamps. /send off this negative q/ letter @ your new adress,

Love, dad

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Admiral Nelson,

I don't know what 2 do?!

I tried the numbers cap'n . . but they just don't seam to work!

Help me Admiral, . I done tink I can save the boat!!

well, I did try to call. It's been longer than ever since I,ve heard your voice

^

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work, Ashli Gold! I'm so proud!

And dialup? Psh.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Jimmy, if you're on dial up, how can I email you pictures of Mary Kate? Then again, I guess she's so damn skinny they shouldn't need DSL to load ;)

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you are all settled in one place for a while. Let us all know what things you think you may want or need in the care packages. Like kittens to play with the one you have or whatever. Food you've been craving and reading material in english. Anyways, I hope you're having lots and lots of fun.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You what I realized the other day? When I was teaching my Princeton Review class, I was acting like Smokin' Joe! I was leaning on desks, chairs, and actually perching on chairs. Oh, man, it was horrible. But also good. I think he should be my role model. Yes, I want to be like a gigantic, balding Spanish man.

It's good to know that you're finally somewhere. And now you can settle down into the wild Kazakh lifestyle you always dreamed of. Fame, fortune, and . . . ah, salty tea . . . these will all be yours!

3:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli!!! I'm so glad you're getting settled. You'll make an awesome teacher--you've taught me everything I've ever needed to know! I hope all is well in the stan and that you are recording every detail of your adventures. I'm moving to boston tomorrow, so expect a "boston-themed" care package soon (i.e. chowder and baked beans). I love ya and miss ya.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashli.

I think that the way to call from the US to here is:
011-7(country code)-then number, so for example:
011-7-300-xxx-xxxx
I think that should work for cell phones. I know that 011-7 then city code and number works for home phones. Hope this helps!

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home