Sunday, July 17, 2005

holy half-way point, batman!!

ok, so it's just the half-way mark of my training not of service, no need to start planning my welcome home party yet! (but, for future reference, there is to be absolutely no clowns at this celebration, because i'm afraid of them. this is because, as we all know, clowns are haunted.)

on a completely unrelated note, ryan informed me via posted comment that he will be spending the beginning of january in beautiful, tropical, shut-the-hell up, mexico. well, i've got news for you, buck. while you're maxing and relxing in the hot sun, i'll be up to my butt in snow and 40 below temperatures. eat it!! you'll be so jealous when you read my posts about my eyeballs freezing shut!! but I KEED!! i hope you have tons of fun! now that we're talking about vacations, let's get some wheels a-turning!! i have discovered that it is possible for me to have round about a month to a month and a half of vacation time next summer. i can also travel anywhere i want! so, if anyone has a hankering for some international travel, next summer, lemme know. of course i don't need anything definite, i just wanted to get you all thinking. (but do bare in mind that i will have EXTREMELY limited funds for this. hostels much?)

ok, back to my kz narrative. we had immersion teaching this past week. i taught 4 sessions of 8th grade. my kids were great, but their english was not. it was a real eye opener to the level that i will be teaching (for example -- they constantly mix up he and she. and tomorrow we will have class is completely above their heads.)it's ok though, it's my job to teach and teach i shall!!!! my host sister was in my class and she is still calling me "miss ashli" (the kids in the village already knew me as ashli, but i needed to interject some illusion of authority).

speaking of my host sister, she and i went to the school's disco last night! omg!!! there are some hootchified dances in the kz. they all LOVE 50 cent, so when "candy shop" came on, they all tried to booty dance. then they wanted me to show them how to do it, because, as we all know, my booty dancing is famous world wide (winky face). i didn't do it though, i am a teacher, not a corrupter of youth (thank you, socrates, for that lesson!!! philosophy 101 what!?!).

my host mother's mother and sister are now visiting. the sister, muhabat is 19 and is studying english at university. now there's someone in my house that i can talk to! huzah! also, ryan listen up -- she is kelly's voice double. it's so weird, if kelly were ouiger and spoke russian, i think she would be my host aunt. small world!

let's see. . . what else?

oh yeah!! next week is site announcement day!!!!!!!!! i will find out where the heck i'll spend the next two years of my life (come on disneyland!! ;) ). there's gonna be a big ceremony with a map and then an american folk music jambaroo (i volunteered to play the jug). after that i have practicum (which is like immersion teaching but my counterpart will be watching me -- or judging me, whichever you like). then we have counterpart conferences, swearing in, then i'm off to the races. . . OMG!! this is going to happen soon!

ok, i'm gonna go now! BYE!

ps -- hey jodee: wor shor yeega may goran!! i love you!!
ryan, happy super belated birthday!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ashli!

just now found your blog via mark's. all apologies for the delay, but i think you can understand why someone wouldn't exactly be checking mark's blog every day.

so glad to hear that you're well and that the 'stan is at least half as rockin' as you thought it would be.

by next summer, i might have the funds and opportunity for my first real international travel, so keep me/us all updated on what/where/when you're thinking and i'll do the same.

could a friend theoretically mail you something whilst you're there? methinks care packages from home would be a rockin' idea, and i can think of lots of fun things to ship that would go in small packages. again, please advise.

keep well, friend!

(p.s. dance for them. you will then be their goddess)

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to send a package too! I have People magazines and all other sorts of goodies to keep you up to date on all of the awesome celebrity gossip! (I know you have been DYING to know what Mary-Kate is up to, and hoping her sister (that fat bitch) has burst into flames). I miss, miss, miss, miss you, and I didn't know you had the blog until R&R told me recently. I will email you later!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That "half dollar" fellow is quite the rage everywhere I guess! Somehow I don't get the music, but the proper dancers doing that "booty dance" are probably ok. I was delighted to hear about them having a Disneyland in the 'stan.
It was great hearing your voice..... after I called you back, MCI was kind enough to call and inform me that they were thrilled to have me spend $150.00 with them! we have since gotten International calling, and that call will only be about $5.00 the next time (they even are gonna' prorate our last call- so don't fret). I am pleased to hear that you are maintaining out long-established code of dignity in thatbooty dancing fiasco!
be well and let us know when a good time to call is, Ashley.

hugs and kisses,
Mike

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home